What are the types and styles of snips?
Snips are hand tools used to cut sheet metal, foil, metal, paper, textile, plastic film, and wire. They come in:
- Tinner's snips: these snips are recognizable by their long handles and short blades. They usually have extra wide jaws and are made of drop forged carbon steel.
- Compound-action snips: these snips are used to cut aluminum up to 18 gauge, mild steel upt o 24 gauge, and stainless steel up to 26 gauge.
The different styles are:
- Straight cutting: cuts in a straight line and wide curves
- Left cutting: cuts straight and in a tight curve to the left
- Right cutting: cuts straight and in a tight curve to the right