Aluminum wires are better in electrical distribution and transmission. However, typical household wiring devices (GFCI, receptacle outlets, light switches, etc.) are not rated for aluminum wire. As a result, an aluminum wired house is more at risk to reach hazardous fire conditions at the outlet wiring connections rather than homes that are wired with copper wires.
- Hot to the touch electrical outlet or light switches
- Electrical circuit that does not work
- Flickering lights
- The smell of burning plastic at electrical receptacles
- Completely replace your home with copper wire
- Pigtail the aluminum wire ends with special crimp connectors called COPALUM
- Connect the aluminum wire ends with aluminum to copper AlumiConn wire lug connector
DO NOT USE common
hand crimped connectors.
- DO NOT PIGTAIL with any hand twist-on wire nut connectors.