Energy bills sky rocket during the fall and winter months, but they don’t have to. Here at HomElectrical we have put together a list of tips and tricks that will help you save money during these below freezing months.
Basic Maintenance! Heating and cooling bills can be dramatically reduced just by making sure that your furnace is in working order. Be sure to pay it the proper amount of attention this winter!
- Schedule service for your furnace to keep it clean and unblocked
- Check the filter once a month and if it is dirty, replace it
Window Tips! During the winter months, a lot of heat goes right out the window, but there are many steps that you can take to keep your house heated.
- Open up the curtains on your south-facing windows during the day to allow the sunlight to naturally heat your home and then re-close them at night to keep the heat in.
- Invest in some tight fitting, insulated drapes or shades to keep the cold air outside.
- If you are really looking for a way to save, you can use a heavy-duty, clear plastic sheet on a frame or tape clear plastic film to the inside of your window to add some extra insulation.
Thermostat hacks! During the fall and winter months, the battle with the thermostat begins.
- The first thing you can do that will help your energy bill’s bottom line is set the thermostat as low as comfortable during the day.
- When you are about to go to sleep turn your thermostat back 10° to 15°. Turning your thermostat back for eight hours can save you around 10% a year on your heating and cooling bill.
Household Tricks! There are many simple things that can be done around the house to save on energy costs. Even just adding some inexpensive accessories can make a huge difference in the comfort of your home.
- Only heat the rooms you use. By closing the vents in the rooms that aren’t used, the heat is rerouted to the main rooms keeping them warmer.
- Humidifiers can also help reduce your heating and cooling bill. During the winter, air inside your home can become dry. A humidifier adds moisture to the air that helps it feel warmer and holds heat better.
Fun Fact: house plants also add moisture to the air!
- Adding a space heater to your commonly used rooms and reducing the temperature of your thermostat will also save on energy costs. HomElectrical offers a full selection of Portable Heaters to help you stay warm this winter!
Fan Facts! Fans are typically associate with the spring in summer months, but they can make a huge difference during the winter months.
- Turning a fan on counter-clockwise will push the hot air up and cool a room down, but turning a fan on clockwise will trap heat inside and keep your rooms warm.
- Exhaust fans in your kitchen and bathrooms pull the hot air that rises to the ceiling out of your home, so use them sparingly and shut them off when you are done with them.
Wishing you a warm winter from the associates at HomElectrical!
What are some things that you do to save energy? Share with us in the comment section below
Don’t forget to share with your friends on Facebook, and follow us on Twitter!