Earth Day is near and everyone is reminded of how important it is to take better care of the environment. Don’t let the idea overwhelm you. There are many ways to go green without hurting your pocket or inconveniencing yourself. In light of Earth Day, we have put together a list of 22 quick and easy tips for going green.
1. Educate Yourself: The most effective thing you can do to start your process of going green is to educate yourself. You need to be aware of what issues are worth tackling and how you can help.
2. Educate Others: Spreading the word is also extremely important. Once you know how to be helpful, introduce your practices to others.
3. Change Your Light Bulbs: Incandescent bulbs are a waste. Try LED lighting for size.
4. Adjustable Thermostat: Programmable thermostats reduce wasted energy by operating on a schedule that works best for you.
5. Turn off the Lights When Not in Use: Especially if you haven’t converted to LEDs.
6. Wash in Cold: 75% of the energy used to wash clothes comes from warming the water.
7. Hang Dry Clothes: Eliminates the energy necessary when using a dryer
8. Brush Teeth Without Running Water: You could save 10 gallons of water.
9. Shorter Showers: An average shower uses 5 gallons of water per minute. Cutting down on time really does make a difference.
10. Don't Preheat Oven: Allow the oven to warm up the food during the preheat process rather than waiting it out.
11. Shutdown Computer vs Sleep Mode: A sleeping computer still draws electricity.
12. Plant a Tree: There are countless benefits to planting trees. Trees help fight climate change and clean the air.
13. Write on Both Sides of Paper: Get the most out of your sheet before you move on.
14. Online Bill Pay: Cutting down on paper use, cuts down on deforestation.
15. Cancel Junk Mail: If you are receiving unwanted mail to your house cancel your subscription and request to be removed from their mailing list.
16. Recycle Unwanted Newspaper: Don’t trash them. Recycle them. If you have a garden, here’s a good way to use them.
17. Use 1 Less Paper Napkin: Over 160 billion paper napkins are used every year. Most of which are not recycled.
18. At Home: Use Rags Instead of Paper Towels and Napkins: This cuts down on paper waste.
19. Rethink Bottled Water: Bottled water isn’t always a better quality of water and creates plastic waste.
20. Go to Car Wash: Car washes use water more efficiently than the average individual washing their car at home.
21. Give Away Don't Throw Away: Instead of throwing away unwanted electronics and other items, try reselling or giving them away. If that doesn’t work, you could always recycle them. A quick google search could show you where.
22. B.Y.O.Bag: Plastic bags are not biodegradable. Consider buying reusable bags for future shopping.
Going green has never been so easy. Implementing these practices into your daily life will have a major impact on the earth. The kind of positive impact the earth has been needing for a long time. Let’s turn this Earth Day into every day.