Natural Gas vs. Electric Heating
It’s an age-old debate. Natural gas heaters or electric heaters. Which one is better for your home or office? The team at HomElectrical decided to dig up the facts and clear the air on this heated debate.
- It is usually cheaper compared to electric, but that is not always the case if you live in an area where natural gas is not easily available. Also, natural gas continues to work during power outages so during bad weather and snowstorms your house can stay warm.
- Another advantage of natural gas is the type of heat that is produced. It is less dry, compared to electric heaters, and most people find this type of heat more comforting in a home but this could backfire in an office environment.
- The main drawback of natural gas is the gas itself. According to CDC, on average 430 people die each year from carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide poisoning can occur in houses that use natural gas for any use, including heating, and a leak can be hazardous and fatal.
- Electric heaters can be easily installed into old and new buildings and do not require pipe-work so there are little restrictions with where they are installed.
- Electric heaters are also safer than gas because they don’t have the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning or explosion risks, which you find with natural gas. Electric heaters are also very reliable because they usually do not have many moving parts. This key feature of electric heaters allows them to have a long lifespan.
- Electric heaters can also be directional specific and heat a specific space within a room. This is useful in large areas that are difficult to heat fully and this method also uses much less energy.
To summarize, both natural gas and electric heaters have their strengths and weaknesses, but regardless of what kind of heater suits your need, it's important to get the best quality heating products that will last you all winter. Stelpro, just one of the brands that can be found at HomElectrical, is one of the top preforming brands in the industry and their designs can suit virtually any situation!